- 20 Ways to be an Even Better Mom Woman's Day contributor Lisa Armstrong knows your kids may think you're wonderful, but if you're like most mothers, you think you can do more. Well, guess what? You can. But being a better mom isn't about what you give your children, it's about how you connect with them and, more surprisingly, how you treat yourself. Try these suggestions—from parenting experts like Julie as well as real moms just like you—to make your relationship with your kids stronger and closer than ever.
The Chicago Tribune
- 5 Things We Learned from . . . by Anne E. Stein If you want to be a confident, decisive and loving mom ("One Tough Mother"), you need to commit to a list of non-negotiable principles of parenting, says Christian author/speaker Julie Ann Barnhill. These include:
1. You are the boss of your child. Do not abdicate or delegate your authority. It's your job to establish rules, boundaries and expectations, then follow through on them all. 2. Get comfortable saying no in a firm but kid-friendly way. "I hear what you're saying, and no," is one example. Don't apologize or reconsider. 3. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Stop using elusive and evasive phrases like, "We'll see" and "maybe later." 4. Enjoy a hobby other than your kids. Pursuing activities that bring joy and relaxation makes you a lot more interesting and helps develop your mental, physical and spiritual health. 5. Love your family truly, madly and deeply. Come up with holiday traditions, core values and family mottos that nurture love. Some of the author's family mottoes: Be one another's cheerleader, show outward expressions of love, laugh when possible, speak the truth.
- Do You Yell at Your Kids Too Much? Contributing editor, Jeannie Ralston, references thoughts and advice gleaned from her interview with Julie. Look for practical, can-do help for toning down screaming motherhood a notch or two.
The Ledger, New York Regional Newspaper
- SHHHHHHH! MOMMY'S MAD: Fighting, Anger Can Be an Unexpected Part Of Parenting by Rebecca Mahoney Ms. Mahoney cites interview quotes and portions of She's Gonna Blow! as she uncovers the "other" face of motherhood.
The Oprah Winfrey Show
Well, I signed a form and can't use her likeness on any of my material but suffice it to say, it was incredible working with her and an incredible host of producers and being granted a guest appearance. Moderating a four hour discussion group (composed of six brave women freely admitting they were losing the battle of anger and motherhood) and getting a behind-the-scenes glimpse of pre-production only whet my appetite for my own television or call-in radio program . . . any producers or investment purveyors reading this? I'm your girl!
Dick Clark's 'The Other Half'
Mr. Dick Clark: The Other Half What a thrill to interview with television legend, Dick Clark, in Hollywood, CA. My adventure began in the early morning hours of October 8th, just a short time after America began the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan. I landed at LAX and saw armed soldiers manning doorways and security areas. Television airwaves were filled with the latest terror warnings about anthrax and men attempting to storm jetliner cockpits. Needless to say, it wasn't quite the trip I had first imagined. Staff & producers set my mind at ease as the ever professional Mr. Clark and co-host Danny Bonaduce helped create a television moment I will never forget.
"What makes you good at what you do both speaking and writing and what you've done here today [radio broadcast] is you really do have an ability to feel what others are feeling and putting it into words in an articulate way and helping them deal with it and cope with it." Dr. James Dobson
MIX 107.3, Washington, DC - BIG NEWS: Monthly Parenting Expert Appearance Kicking off November 7th at 7:20 EST, this One Tough Mother will join the fabulous programing team at 107.3 FM with refreshingly real, slightly irreverent, and always relevant expert parenting advice.
And what a show this is my friend: 500,000 listeners! NUMBER ONE market with women 25-54 (MY PEOPLE!) and top three with persons 25-54. Trust me, it doesn't get much better than this.(Well, having my own show would definitely qualify and I'm holding out for that down the road as well.)
Janet Parshall's AMERICA: December 18, 1:00 - 2:00 EST - LISTEN LIVE! One Tough Mother Remember that lyric from the silly Christmas song; "Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again..." Mom, Julie Barnhill has some good advice for the upcoming Christmas vacation! Julie talks with Janet about handling holiday stress and stepping up and being the mom.
Focus on the Family Daily Broadcast: March 19-20th: The Confident Strength of a Mom Two-days of great advice and laugh-out-loud humor to help you step up and be a strong, confident, non-wimpy Mom. *Smile*
WAKW Morning Show, Cincinnati, OH - One Tough Mother Air date, TBD
Westar Media Group - One Tough Mother Julie recorded multiple sixty-second radio scripts which will air on radio stations across the country. Be sure to call and let station managers everywhere know how much you enjoy her refreshingly real and relevant message to women.
WFHM Cleveland, OH - Salem Broadcasting - One Tough Mother October 3rd
WMBI Prime Time Change - One Tough Mother October 3rd, LIVE, 2:30 pm CST
WSJS Winston-Salem, NC - One Tough Mother October 4th, LIVE, 10:35 EST/9:35 CST
The American Perspective - One Tough Mother October 8th, taped interview, air date TBA
WEMI Green Bay, MI: People's Program - One Tough Mother October 9th, taped interview, air date TBA
Martha Stewart's Morning Living with Kim Fernandez & Betsy Karetnick: LIVE! - How to be Firm with Your Children October 15, 2007 - SIRIUS Radio: Some time between 10:30am-10:45am EST
The Busted Halo Show with Father Dave Dwyer - One Tough Mother October 16th, SIRUS Radio
WBCL, Mid-Morning with Lynne Ford - One Tough Mother November 5th, LIVE! 9:05 EST/8:05 CST, 55-minutes